run gui without root

• 5 Replies
run gui without root
« on: March 26, 2020, 05:25:08 PM »
Is there a way to run the gui without running as root?
Pleas provide instructions...

Dejan

• View Profile
Re: run gui without root
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 08:56:06 PM »
The software requires superuser privileges. However it is possible that system administrator provides access to application for specific users (more information on the following link https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-add-user-to-sudoers-in-ubuntu/)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:58:29 PM by Dejan »

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 08:44:08 PM »
Running a program as root is not recommended and a safety risk. Therefore I would recommend to implement a modified approach.
What I have seen up to now is that the program wants to write in dedicated folders in the protected file area. The folders /usr/lib and subfolders shouldn't be writable for everybody, but this is wanted by the software.
I don't know why these folders were selected for dynamic data, but nowadays I would prefer a different approach.
The oszilloscope installs and uses hidden folders in the user area. Why  can't the files from the protected area transferred to the hidden user area?
Another approach would be to have a separate data structue  e.g. in the /srv or /opt segment.

There is another observation I cannot understand. During the Startup the software is checking for ROOT user. On the other hand, the used subfolders in the /usr/lib/ area are owen by root but usable by everybody. So from this point of view no root privileges are neccessary. Can you explain this a little bit?

David

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 05:53:48 PM »
Hi,

You are correct. This is fixed now in development branch and will be in the next release. It is comming soon.  :-)

Best regards,
David

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 08:47:02 AM »
Hi,

It is not entirely clear what will be fixed in the next release. Under Linux/Unix in general programs  do not check themself if they are "running as root or not" they are started and some access may fail. In the can of scopefun there is already a udev rule that will allow members of the plugdev group to access the peripheral. I hope that the fix is to remove the "check for root"

With kind regards

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 02:07:10 PM »
I was able to do a new build (of master) on Linux and can now run as normal user