sfScope application closes if the "About" window is closed

• 13 Replies
sfScope application closes if the "About" window is closed
« on: March 04, 2020, 10:59:01 PM »
Hi All,

I just received a ScopeFun that I ordered through CrowdSupply. I downloaded the ScopeFun software using Windows 64-bit binary package.

The sfScope application appears to run normally, except that it closes if I close the About pane that pops up at startup. This doesn't prevent me from using the product, but it's pretty odd that I have to keep the About pane open.

Is this something that anyone else has experienced or found a way to work around?

Thanks,
Joseph

Dejan

• View Profile
Re: sfScope application closes if the "About" window is closed
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 09:34:05 AM »
We will check what could be causing this problem. Are you using software version 2.0.11?

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 04:02:27 PM »
When can we expect reworked version? current download does not work on ubuntu or windows for me. Do we need additional drivers or firmware settings etc to start?

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 11:34:33 PM »
attempted to change language setting, this also closes application. upon restart noticed the change applied but the German is suboptimal to plain nonsense. Please provide me some hint where to find the respective parts in the sources, I might be able to improve the German strings.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 12:15:35 AM »
Hello Joseph,

I also received my toy but the downloaded application despite appearently communicates with the attached hardware does not produce much visible results. For example no blinkenlights on the box, neiter on the usb nor on awg or channel input visible indicator. Is there any documentation about forst steps or any other rituals required to start seeing any stimulus result on the screen?

Please help since you seem to have better experience with this instrument,

thanks and regards from Darmstadt, Germany

Erich

Dejan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 01:46:55 PM »
Additional drivers are not required, the driver (winusb) is installed automatically when you first connect the hardware to PC. You can verify if the driver is installed in the windows device manager. Could you check this first? Also, what version of windows are you using?

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 04:37:19 PM »
Hi Dejan,

Windows 7 refuses to start, in other words crashes. Ubuntu does not ssem to connect to usb port. Windows 10 kind of starts and even seemingly does some connect to usb reads and writes eeprom appearantly but other than me fooling around with no response from the leds for example or any thing that would give me confidence of interaction. No grafik or numeric answer to scope or signal generation. So I am not able to determine what and how to do to get things to perform as advertised.

Greetings from Darmstadt,
Erich

Dejan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 10:17:40 PM »
We should try to debug this problem in Windows 10 first. Open windows device manager, and let me know if you see the device listed as "ScopeFun Oscilloscope". If you can see it, then follow instructions as suggested in user manual to connect with hardware. Let me know if you see the "USB Open" check box selected in sfScope application after you click "Open"
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 10:26:57 PM by Dejan »

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 06:09:08 AM »
Hi Dejan,

The usb connectin box does respond to connect disconnect requests, also some menue items like read and write eeprom. Do not know if the values are what is expected. Btw, where can I find the user manual?

Erich

Dejan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 08:07:22 AM »
OK, after selecting "Open" you must select "Upload Firmware" and wait few seconds (observe that LED's will flash) and the device will be ready to use. After that, click "Capture" to start oscilloscope.

The manual should be in the box, but you can also download it here: https://www.scopefun.com/files/ScopeFun_UsersGuide_v1.6.pdf
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 10:33:26 AM by Dejan »

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 03:59:20 PM »
Hi, I was surprised by the t-shirt but did not notice the manual. Sorry, my bad, was so excited that I might have missed stuff if it was there. Too late to check since packages are gone now. Downloaded an read the manual, followed the instructions and indeed the LEDs do come to live state and the screen gets filled with response to stimulus. The about window is still something that I would appreciate if it is no longer compulsory open and on top in the next release. Thanks for the help, now I need time to investigate try out and play with the scope to get to learn what and how it performes.

Thanks and Greetings from Darmstadt,
Erich

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 07:12:40 PM »
Hi, had a bit of spare time for recreational activities.  Noticed some inconsistencies  in the application. The channel designator is Ch0 an Ch1 on one display and Channel 1 and Channel 2 on the other screen. Is a bit irritating  to find out who is who. Maybe there is a good reason for this but I can not think of one.

Greetings from Darmstadt,
Erich

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 07:36:31 PM »
Toying around with scopefun, I am unable to locate the calibration  procedures.  I think a bit of help is required again.

Dejan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 11:14:39 AM »
Calibration can be done through menu: EEPROM->Auto Calibrate (the software must be run "as administrator"). BTW the calibration procedure is already done in factory and saved in EEPROM. After the calibration is finished, the data will be saved in the file: .\data\startup\hardware2.json where you can check results. If you want to save calibration permanently on EEPROM, you can select "Write calibration" which will transfer calibration data from file into EPPROM.