Shielding front end input.

• 2 Replies

mrsour

Shielding front end input.
« on: May 14, 2018, 07:46:37 PM »
I am looking to build one of these but I noticed the front end has no shielded can. Does anyone have issues with EMI without shielding? I was considering forking the project and adding some surface mount clips for a kit like this,
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?lang=en&site=us&vendor=0&WT.z_cid=sp_952_buynow&mpart=S01-806005KIT
But I would have to take some care into moving the front end for the analog inputs around to keep the impedance  the same so I guess what I'm asking is there anything in particular I have to watch out for if I'm messing with the board layout for the front end?

But maybe I'm over thinking it? I could just throw the whole thing into a RF bag if it becomes and issue. But I feel because its an opensource project is that I can add shielding I should to help the next guy out. 

I also saw they're is a new version in works perhaps I should wait maybe u/Dejan can provide some insight if the newer version has or needs shielding.

Dejan

• View Profile
Re: Shielding front end input.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 09:27:39 AM »
In the first prototype PCB version we did have PCB mounts for a shielding can around the analog front end, but they were later removed from the layout since we didn't notice any noise problems without the shield. As you already mentioned, the whole board can also be shielded if it becomes an issue. The PCB size is a standard Eurocard format (100x160 mm), so a matching size metal enclosure is not hard to find. For the new version we will also provide an aluminium enclosure.

Re: Shielding front end input.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 01:51:24 PM »
In the first energy drinks benefits list version we did have PCB mounts for a shielding can around the analog front end, but they were later removed from the layout since we didn't notice any noise problems without the shield. As you already mentioned, the whole board can also be shielded if it becomes an issue. The PCB size is a standard Eurocard format (100x160 mm), so a matching size metal enclosure is not hard to find. For the new version we will also provide an aluminium enclosure.

Hi Dejan, did you consider offering this separately for the people who don't have the enclosure at the moment?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 12:11:36 PM by Grafton »