sfScope64r crash when Upload Firmware

• 3 Replies
sfScope64r crash when Upload Firmware
« on: November 17, 2020, 06:33:35 PM »
Hi~
    I'm facing a software crashing issue when I just want to set Scopefun through the sfScope64r.exe (version is ScopeFun 2.0.16).
    According to the guideline, after connecting my Scopefun and laptop (USB port with SS)  through USB line. I open sfScope64r.exe and first click 'Open' , then 'USB  Open' has been ticked. After that, I click 'Upload Firmware', but after a few seconds, the software just crashed without no LED be lighted.  Is there anyone facing same issue as mine or is there any way to fix it?

Thanks!

Dejan

• View Profile
Re: sfScope64r crash when Upload Firmware
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 07:32:49 PM »
Hi

This could be a problem with the calibration data stored in the FX3 EEPROM. Did you write your custom firmware or using default?

What is the message you see when you select EEPROM -> Read FX3 Firmware?
What is the message after you select EEPROM -> Read Calibration?

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 05:21:54 AM »
Hi,Dejan
    Thanks for your kindly reply. Yes I manually made my own ScopeFun based on you teams' open source resources, and currently just want to use default firmware to use it.
    After I raised this quertion, I have kept seeking possible root causes and solutions. It seems exactly due to  FX3 EEPROM, and I also found a relevant reply of you (https://www.scopefun.com/smf/index.php?topic=44.0). According to this guide, I have solved my crash problem yesterday  and currently both EERROM FX3 Firmware and Calibration can be successful.
    I'm begining to use ScopeFun more and if there will be new issues or problems, hope I can still seek for your help.
Thanks!

Dejan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 08:00:41 AM »
Yes, FX3 EEPROM is empty if you build the board yourself. The link you mentioned is applicable for the old hardware. Instructions are slightly different for the new version with FX3:

You should't install any drivers, just write the firmware by selecting EEPROM -> Write FX3 firmware. After this step you also need to write default calibration data to the hardware by selecting EEPROM -> Write calibration. The board should now be fully functional and you should proceed to calibrate the the analog input capacitors CV1, CV2, CV3 and CV4 (as instructed in the hardware schematics). The last step is to calibrate the board by selecting "Auto calibrate" from the software menu.

Anyway, I'm glad you solved the problem. If you still have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm happy to help with any issue, but sometimes it's just difficult to debug a problem if it's hardware related.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 08:03:19 AM by Dejan »