sfScope crashing without warning

• 7 Replies
sfScope crashing without warning
« on: May 04, 2020, 08:51:20 AM »
Hi I'm facing a problem with the sfScope when I change to the server mode.

Here's the step-by-step proess:
1. Open sfServer64r
2. Open sfScope64r. Go to Settings tab and click Connection. Then change the mode to Client <- -> Server and press connect. (I do see check mark on the connect box and Client 0 shows up on sfServer)
3. Press open on the sfScope (USB open box has a checkmark now), upload firmware and press capture.

After a second or so, the oscilloscope LED stops flashing. Then the checkmark on the USB open disappears. When I press open on the sfScope after the checkmark disappears, sfScope closes without any warning. Is there any way to fix this issue?

Thank you.

Dejan

• View Profile
Re: sfScope crashing without warning
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 09:03:12 AM »
Hello.

A similar problem was solved in the latest software release. Could you download the lastest version (2.0.16) and try again?

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 07:50:49 AM »
Hi,

The problem arose initially with the new version. I had tried deleting, re-downloading and installing, but it stlll does not work.
My initial goal was to run histogram.py (python api) but I could not even get to that step as the software consistently stops responding when I change it to server mode. Client connect information in the .py file corresponds to the one shown in the sfServer.

When I change the sfScope connection from USB to server and connect, I see Client 0 in the sfServer. But when I run any .py script, Client 1 shows up, so now I have both Client 0 and Client 1 shown in the sfServer. I don't think this is what it's suppose to be or is it correct to see both clients?

Thanks.

Dejan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 07:48:19 AM »
Two clients that show up in the sfServer window are correct -  first client is the software 'sfScope', second is through the API (Python script).

Please let me know some information about your system as we try to duplicate the issue on our side... What is your operating system (Windows, Linux, Mac) and Python version (it should work with 2.7.x)?

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 10:03:36 PM »
Yes the operating system is Windows 10 with sfScope running 64-bit administrative mode and the python version is as follows: python 2.7.13 (v2.7.13:a06454b1afa1, Dec 17 2016, 20:53:40) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32.

Dejan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 08:26:31 PM »
Hi, unfortunately I was not able to duplicate the same issue on windows 10 64-bit with python version: "Python 2.7.13 (v2.7.13:a06454b1afa1, Dec 17 2016, 20:53:40) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32"

With the latest software sfScope64r (ver 2.0.16), I was able to run
python histogram.py

So I'm not sure what could be wrong...

If I understand correctly your software stops responding a few seconds after starting capture, even before running "python histogram.py " ? Do you receive any signal on the grid after starting capture through the software? Maybe there could be some issue on the local network.

Other thing you can try is a clean install of the latest version sfSscope, first delete any previous versions and re-install.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 08:29:14 PM by Dejan »

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 08:36:31 PM »
Hi so I have re-installed Scopefun version 2.0.16.

So what I have attached what happens when I try to run python histogram.py.
The figure opens and then it freezes. I feel it's because USB is not open, but I cannot open it when I change the connection mode from USB to client <-> server.

I have tried it on different desktops and at least one re-installation on every one of them. It seems to be a common problem.
Can you please advise me on this? Thank you.

Dejan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 10:12:30 AM »
Before running the python histogram.py ...

Could you follow steps below and answer yes/no?

1. Connect hardware to PC
2. Open sfServer64r
3. Open sfScope64r. Go to Settings tab and click Connection.
     Change the mode to Client <- -> Server and press connect.
     Q: Do you see check mark on the connect box and Client 0 shows up on sfServer?
4. Press open on the sfScope (USB open box has a checkmark now), upload firmware and press capture.
     Q: Do you see check mark on the USB open box after starting capture?
     Q: Do you see oscilloscope LED flashing and signal (CH1, CH2) displayed on grid?
5. If above steps are OK, start python histogram.py
     Q: Do you still see check mark on the USB open box and Client 1 shows up on sfServer?

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 12:39:42 PM by Dejan »